as of February 2013
- Assistant Professor of Electrical Engineering at University of Wisconsin-Madison (beginning Aug. 2013)
- Co-founder and CTO of C-Motive Technologies
- Applied electromagnetics
- Electric machines (i.e. motors and generators)
- Power electronics
- Renewable energy
- Sustainable engineering practices
- PhD Electrical Engineering, University of Wisconsin – Madison 2011
- MS Electrical Engineering, University of Wisconsin – Madison 2008
- BS Physics, Bradley University 2006
- Weinert Applied Ventures in Entrepreneurship, 2012
- Wisconsin Eentrepreneurial Bootcamp, 2009
Selected Awards & Honors
- WARF Innovation Award for invention “Varying Capacitance Rotating Machine,” 2012
- Second Place, Wisconsin Governor’s Business Plan Competition 2012
- Incubator Ready Award and & Second Place, Burrill Business Plan Competition 2011/2012
- Poster Presentation Award, 2011 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress & Exposition
- Second Place “Distinguished Student Humanitarian” , IEEE Presidents’ Change the World Competition 2011
- Grand Prize – Climate Leadership Challenge 2010
- Grainger Power Engineering Fellowship 2010
- Most Social Value Award, Wiscontrepreneur 100 Hour Challenge
- First Place, UW Engineering Expo 2007 & 2009, Third place 2011, ($2k)
- Sigma Pi Sigma (National Physics Honors Society)
- Liberal Arts & Sciences Outstanding Student Award
- Bradley Honors Program
- Stutz Family Scholarship
- Presidential Scholarship
1. Ludois, D.C.; Reed, J. K.; Hanson, K.; , “Capacitive Power Transfer for Rotor Field Current in Synchronous Machines,” Power Electronics, IEEE Transactions on , vol.27, no.11, pp.4638-4645, Nov. 2012
2. Ludois, D.C.; Reed, J. K.; Venkataramanan, G.; , “Hierarchical Control of Bridge-of-Bridge Multilevel Power Converters,”, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol.57, no.8, pp.2679-2690, Aug. 2010
3. Ludois, D.C.; Venkataramanan, G.; 2010. “An Examination of AC/HVDC Power Circuits for Interconnecting Bulk Wind Generation with the Electric Grid.” Energies 3, no. 6: 1263-1289.
- Ludois, D.C.; Reed, J.; Erickson, M.; , “Aerodynamic fluid bearings for capacitive power transfer and rotating machinery,” Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), 2012 IEEE , pp.1932-1937, 15-20 Sept. 2012.
2. Ludois, D.C.; Venkataramanan, G.; , “Simplified dynamics and control of Modular Multilevel Converter based on a terminal behavioral model,” Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), 2012 IEEE, pp.3520-3527, 15-20 Sept. 2012.
3. Ludois, D.C.; Venkataramanan, G.; , “Modular multilevel converter as a low inductance machine drive,” Power and Energy Conference at Illinois (PECI), 2012 IEEE , vol., no., pp.1-4, 24-25 Feb. 2012.
4. Ludois, D.C.; Lee, Jonathan; Mendoza, Patricio; Venkataramanan, Giri; , “Reuse of Post-Consumer E-Waste for Low Cost Micropower Distribution,” Global Humanitarian Technology Conference (GHTC), 2011 IEEE , vol., no., pp.137-142, Oct. 30 2011-Nov. 1 2011.
5. Melendez-Vega, Pedro A.; Venkataramanan, Giri; Ludois, D.C.; Reed, Justin; , “Low-Cost Light-Weight Quick-Manufacturable Blades for Human-Scale Wind Turbines,” Global Humanitarian Technology Conference (GHTC), 2011 IEEE , vol., no., pp.154-159, Oct. 30 2011-Nov. 1 2011.
6. Ludois, D.C.; Hanson, K.; Reed, J.K.; , “Capacitive power transfer for slip ring replacement in wound field synchronous machines,” Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), 2011 IEEE , vol., no., pp.1664-1669, 17-22 Sept. 2011.
7. Reed J., Ludois D.C., Hamlin M., “Power Conversion Coursework Using a Solid State Tesla Coil,” Proc. 2010 ASEE Annual Conference, June 20-23, 2010, Louisville, KY.read more
What I Do
Note: This site is mainly dedicated to documenting my “for fun” projects outside of my professional work. I hope you enjoy it, and if you wish to pursue similar projects please do so carefully and at your own risk.
Contact: email@example.com more